Don’t waste your time baking or steaming your potatoes! This quick and easy oil-free pan-steamed recipe will make you never look back again 🙂
Are you short on time? This recipe doesn’t need any oven-preheating or water-boiling , and it only takes 7 minutes from start to finish!
Did I mention you only need one ingredient?
Now, I know this blog is made for only high protein sugar free recipes, but can we just appreciate the wonderful taste and benefits of a sweet potato?
I love making these pan-steamed sweet potatoes in the morning and pairing them with my stir-fries, and salads, or sandwiching them between easy oil-free tofu slices or ham as a snack.
Why you should make pan steamed potatoes
- you only need one ingredient – not even seasoning or oil
- oil free
- super quick
- super easy
- healthy and filling
- no oven, actual steaming or even microwave
Sweet potato nutrition
1 sweet potato (about 130g) has:
- 112 calories
- 0.1 gram fat (0% DV)
- 26 grams of carbs. In which 4g of it is dietary fiber, and 5 gram of it is natural sugar
- 2 grams of protein
*DV is short for Daily Value. This is calculated based on a 2000 calorie diet
As you can see, sweet potato has a huge amount of fiber, which is wonderful. However it is not a rich source of protein or fat.
Sweet potatoes are also rich in vitamin A, C, E, B6, B5, potassium and manganese.
That is one of the reasons sweet potato is named a superfood and one of the best forms of carbohydrates to eat.
What can I serve pan steamed sweet potatoes with?
- stir fries
- sandwich it with crispy sliced tofu and juicy oven steamed chicken – my favourite combo
- add it to this one layer veggie omelette recipe
- and so much more!
Tips and variations
- Use a properly sized lid or a lid slightly smaller than the pan. In the video, you can see I used a bigger lid because I don’t have any more lids.
- Don’t leave the sweet potatoes as is. This means when the potatoes are steaming, make sure you’re around and check how they’re cooking through the lid to prevent overcooking.
- If you want “instant sweet potato chips” instead, slice the potatoes as thin as possible. When cooking, wait until an edge of the potato slice becomes crispy or brown and flip. But you have to serve immediately or leave them in the pan to cool down after turning of the heat for better crisp.
After letting the potatoes cool down completely, store your pan-steamed potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
However, keep in mind that potatoes are best to be served immediately, especially if you want the slices to be crispy.
7 Minute Pan Steamed Sweet Potatoes
DescriptionDon’t waste your time baking or steaming your potatoes! This quick and easy oil-free pan-steamed recipe will make you never look back again :)
Slice the sweet potato to thin circular slices, about 0.3 cm or less (scroll up to u0022tips and variationsu0022 for crispy sweet potato slices).
Preheat the pan to medium-low heat (or turn the heat on after step 2 if you want) and place the sweet potatoes onto a non-stick pan, spreading them out evenly.
Cover the pan with the lid for 2-4 minutes, until it starts to look soft. Flip and cover the lid again for 1-3 minutes, this time looking through the lid from time to time to make sure you're not overcooking the sweet potatoes.
Repeat if you have any more potato slices, and serve immedately. Enjoy!
Serving Size 65g
- Amount Per Serving
- Calories 56kcal
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat 0.1g1%
- Sodium 30mg2%
- Potassium 200mg6%
- Total Carbohydrate 13g5%
- Dietary Fiber 2g8%
- Sugars 2g
- Protein 1g2%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily value may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.